Scarborough and Hargett Funeral Home
When its Hayti location was demolished with urban renewal funds in 1972, the Scarborough & Hargett Funeral Home moved to the modern building pictured here, located at Roxboro and Dillard streets. In 2010 this building was razed to accommodate the new Durham County Courthouse.
The Scarborough & Hargett Funeral Home has been an institution in Durham since 1901, when J. C. Scarborough moved from Kinston, North Carolina, to serve Durham’s African-American community. The funeral home moved in the 1920s from its location at 303 East Chapel Hill Street to Hayti, where it was featured in the 1948 film “”Negro Durham Marches On,”” a movie produced by the Durham Business and Professional Chain to promote Durham’s black businesses:
The progressive business spirit and civic-minded interests of Negro Durham is typified in J. C. Scarborough’s enterprises. . . . Mr. Scarborough founded this business out of a need for such services for his people.
Back to Category