Durham Light and Power Company, Blackwell Street, 1930
Durham Light and Power Company, looking northeast up Blackwell Street at the back of the plant, 1930. Also pictured is the Seeman Printery farther up the street, and the second Durham County Courthouse is visible at the upper right. The Durham Light and Power Company had its principal power generation facility at this site into the 1930s, along with an ice plant, which provided ice and cold storage. The original buildings were demolished during urban renewal. This site is slated to accommodate the “Diamond View III” office building.
Back to Category